Thursday, August 7, 2008

Detroit


The man above is Kwame Kilpatrick, the Mayor of the City of Detroit. He was allowed to leave the state, but needed to give the court 48-hr notice. He didn’t give the court 48-hr notice. He got in trouble.

"My life has been revolutionarily transformed and it's transforming in front of the eye of these media people who don't know me at all," he said, referring to what he called intense scrutiny. "Your honor, I ask for your forgiveness...it will never happen again."

The judge asked. "Who was sick? Who was dying?"

"The city of Detroit was sick," Thomas said referring to the $75 million deal the mayor said would help balance Detroit's budget.

I walked around Detroit eighteen months ago. I agree with the Mayor that the City of Detroit is dying. In my opinion, the main difference between the images from Zimbabwe and the streets of the City of Detroit is the American justice system and the welfare system. For whatever those are worth. I think that both might just be dependent on our banking system.

Which should make for an interesting century. In any case, there are some real estate bargains!

No comments: