Thursday, June 26, 2008

Heller

I feel better today about the future of the country than I have in a while. Scalia’s wording will give grounds to call illegitimate any future court that looks to overturn what happened today. Today was a good day for America.

A quick anecdote. Not all that long ago my roommates were gone for Marine Corps summer training. I woke up to noise in the adjacent room. I tried to wish away the noise in my semi-conscious state but it didn’t go away. At that point my mind entered tunnel vision and things began to move extraordinarily slowly.

There was a Winchester level action rifle by my bed. It is hard to describe how focused you become when making a fight or flight decision. My mind decided to call out my roommates’ name in a loud military voice, grab the rifle, and chamber a round in a loud manner to scare the intruder, if he was an intruder, or save face, if it was my roommate. I ran through the scenario probably three times in twenty seconds. Looking back at it the human mind is amazing.

And I acted. It turned out to be an intruder. He ran through the living room and jumped off the second story. The thing that I remember is how my hands were shaking after the encounter when I was talking with the police. I later learned that that was an effect of adrenaline.

In retrospect, what I did was risky because I was not proficient with the rifle I shouldered (it was my roommate’s). But it did engrain within me the importance of firearms. You never know when that time will come.

Well done Justice Scalia. Thank you.

No comments: