Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nothing Good Can Come From This

This one makes you wonder:

The Carroll National Guard unit will train on urban military missions by holding a four-day exercise at Arcadia.

The purpose of the April 2-5 drill will be to gather intelligence, then search for and apprehend a suspected weapons dealer, according to Sgt. Mike Kots, readiness NCO for Alpha Company.


Correct me if I am wrong, but there are lots and lots of fully legal weapons dealers. They operate in the open, last time I checked.

"One of the techniques we use in today's political environment is cordon and knock," Kots explained. "We ask for the head of the household, get permission to search, then have them open doors and cupboards. The homeowner maintains control. We peer over their shoulder, and the soldier uses the homeowner's body language and position to protect him."


I don't personally like the idea of armed soldiers coming into my home, and peering over my shoulder as I am directed to empty my belongings. This kind of seems like an 'unreasonable search', in the absense of a court order.

The unit will use a Blackhawk helicopter for overhead command and control, and to simulate medevacs.

The drill will culminate in the apprehension of the suspected arms dealer.

Giving this exercise the benefit of the doubt, the lessons learned will do this military unit absolutely no good in Dar al-Islam. Hopefully this is just a really bad Public Affairs Officer.

t/p: RivrDog

No comments: