Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Great Moments in Illinois Oration



Performing my duty as a Citizen, and as a fan of the idea of a functioning Representative Republic, I have created a transcript of Representative Bobby Rush’s talk today. It may be useful for future forensic historians, or perhaps those wishing to revisit voter eligibility in the event of a collapse of the economy.

In the case that YouTube survives, here is a video clip to verify my transcript. In case the internet does not survive, I think I’ll print this one out.

Roland Burris: “Come on up to the podium.”

Blago: “Bobby, do you want to say something?”


Representative Bobby Rush, Democrat, Illinois 1st District:

Good afternoon. Let me first of all thank God for this, this decision by Governor Blago. This is a good decision. Roland Burris is worthy. He has not in 20 years of public service had one iota of taint on his record. As a public servant, he is an esteemed member of this state and of this community.

I, my prayers, have been answered because I pray thoroughly that the Governor would continue the legacy established by President Elect Obama and that the Governor will appoint an African-American to complete the term of President Obama.

Let me just remind you that there presently is no African American in the US Senate. Let me remind you that the State of Illinois and the people of the State of Illinois, in their collective wisdom, have sent 2 African Americans to the US Senate. That makes the difference. This is just not a State of Illinois matter, although the power to appoint in Roland Burris would be representative of the State of Illinois.

But indeed by this decision it has tremendous national importance. National importance.

We need to have not just one African American in the US Senate; we need to have many African Americans in the US Senate. So I applaud the Governor in his decision and I would ask you not to hang or lynch the appointee as you try to castigate the appointer. Separate, if you will, the appointee from the appointer. Roland Burris is worthy. He is the only one, I believe, that can stand in the gap for these tumultuous times and gather the confidence; we are establishing the confidence of the people of the State of Illinois.

As far as certification is concerned, I think that the Secretary of State acted prematurely, uh, in issuing the statement. I’m not sure whether or not he has any authority to actually certify or not. That’s up to the lawyers. I’m not a lawyer. But I do know that he should be concerned about how the people of the State of Illinois will react to him not certifying this particular individual, Roland Burris, to replace the President Elect.

As far as my colleagues in the Congress, then I intend, er, we intend to persuade them or to challenge them, or to do whatever, beg them, whatever it may take, to get them to reverse their decision. Roland Burris stands head and shoulders above most elected officials in this nation and so there is no rhyme or reason that he should not be seated in the US Senate.

This is a matter of national importance. There is no African Americans in the US Senate and I don’t think that anyone, any US Senator, who is sitting in the Senate right now, wanna go on record to deny one African American from being sitted, seated in the US Senate.

I don’t think they want to go on record doin’ that. And so I intend to take that argument to the Congressional Black Caucus. I intend to take that argument to the Senators. I intend to start with our own Senator, Senator Durbin, who is a friend of mine. And I am sure that he will stand to be reasoned with. Thank you.

No comments: