Saturday, August 23, 2008

Using Abraham Lincoln

Barack Obama is using the legacy of Abraham Lincoln to forward his Citizen of the World belief system. This kind of offends me because I personally do not believe that Obama has earned the right to use the legacy of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln took a bullet in the back of the head for the black race, and is unable to voice his opinion of Obama’s speech. So here is part of his debate with Douglas. For the record, I am more liberal than Lincoln with regards to race relations.

"Now, gentlemen, I don't want to read at any greater length, but this is the true complexion of all I have ever said in regard to the institution of slavery and the black race. This is the whole of it, and anything that argues me into his idea of perfect social and political equality with the negro, is but a specious and fantastic arrangement of words, by which a man can prove a horse-chestnut to be a chestnut horse."

"I will say here, while upon this subject, that I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and the black races."

"There is a physical difference between the two, which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."

No comments: